Monday, October 16, 2006

An ASPECT of YOURSELF

"Whatever inspires you is an aspect of yourself."

Sometime ago, I read this in a book and I copied it down on a piece of paper. Today, I randomly picked it out of a junk drawer and here I am starting this blog space. "Inspiration comes from an aspect of yourself." It sounds like a cool quote, yet I don't know what it means to me. So, I want to reflect more on the meaning of that sentence. At first, many people think of inspiration as something outside of themselves. For instance, a mountain may inspire someone to take up the sport of snowboarding or more artistically inclined people may feel inspired to paint after visiting a garden . According to Wikipedia, the word "inspiration" literally means "breathed upon" and the origin of this breath is God. Inspiration then is divine!

For me, the image of being breathed upon by God is quite amazing. But, isn't it true we all experience God in different ways? For me, the spirit of God is felt within. Looking inwards and reflecting on myself helps me to find that. Personally speaking, when I have conversations with God (what some people call praying) I am simply talking to myself, and to my spirit. My spirit knows everything. So, if inspiration comes from God and my God is my own spirit, then I've come to realize that inspiration is found within. Perhaps that is what it means. Now, I know why I kept that piece of paper.

2 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I think when I am inspired by something it becomes a part of me--my first trip to Glacier National Park, the first time I told a boy I loved him, standing near the ocean in Oregon, reading my favorite book, holding each of my sons for the first time, or feeling the wind whip through your hair when you stand above the treeline in the Rocky Mountains. These glorious experiences become a part of you and change who you are from that moment on. They become defining moments. The moments when you feel the breath of God you are forever better for it.

Are you one of On The Run's Friends? Just wondering how you stumbled onto my blog.

Debbie said...

Hi, thanks for posting. It is so cool, you are the first person to leave a comment on my blog. YAH! Thanks. Anyhoo, I came upon your blog as I was checking out who or what else was on this thing. I really liked your entries, so I had to add my two cents.