Thursday, May 08, 2008

Rotten Vegetarians


Vegetarian principles comprise more than simple dietary constraints. Its philosophy surpasses the kitchen/dining room parameters and has found its way into deep-rooted conversations on politics, the environment and even spirituality.

I personally do not have a problem with people who have a vegetarian lifestyle. In fact, I was a herbivore myself for 2 years. But I do have a problem with vegetarians who impose their "vegetarian-ish" values on others. I am sure you know what I mean because everyone has felt the glare from a vegetarian merely for using a plastic container. In addition, you’ve probably come across several vegetarians who tend to speak out on several issues, not necessarily related to food, who truly believe they are right all the time! And quite a few non meat-eaters I know are extremely fundamental and dogmatic about almost everything under the sun. I see that a culture of vegetarians who portray self-righteousness and superiority is increasingly growing. Dang it! It's so annoying! Do they really have the right to take a moral high ground?

A woman I used to work with was a proactive vegetarian and made known her issues whenever someone heated up meat in the microwave or forgot to recycle a can. It amazed me how oblivious she was to the friction that occurred every time she impressed her views upon the staffroom. Understandably, this woman wasn’t well liked around the workplace. She did not know that by attacking others she was losing respect and making herself look bad. So, this makes me wonder. Why do vegetarians so often feel the need to preach? It's a completely backward and hypocritical line of attack. As far as I know, they see themselves as loving, sympathetic and humane. But often they ridicule, judge and sneer at others. I would say some vegetarians can be fanatical extremists who are no worse than sinister, evangelical leaders. Which brings me to the woman I worked with. I later learned that her father is a pasture. I heard her tell me how rigid and unapproachable he was. Funny to think how 'the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree' for that family.

Like I said I have nothing against the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle. Only I can’t stand those who take up a holier than thou, elitist attitude. Attacking others and putting them down, it only makes you look like an ass!

No comments: